February 11, 2009

Marianne



I had the incredible chance this past weekend to photograph my friend Marianne who is expecting her first child next month. Marianne and I were roommates freshman year of college and have remained close these many years (13 to be exact). It was so cool to see her and to feel the baby (it's a girl) kick. It's probably the first time I've been so up close and personal with pregnancy (not since my sibs were born when I was 13ish). I had a great time with these photos, trying unusual lighting, really darkening the ambient light so the only thing visible was the belly...I couldn't convince her to go super sexy : ) but she managed to pull off classy and serene, which was just right! Enjoy!

















































The day before the actual shoot we raided her closet for the closest thing to a "flowy" dress that she had, went out into the cold, climbed over a fence, trudged through a really muddy field and, against the setting sun, took photos so I could realize a vision. Not sure if it came out the way I expected, but things never do. It still turned out cool. The symbolism? Bare field, winter, barren vs full woman, fertile, mother. Wish the dress made her look more pregnant (she really is 8 months along)













1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've done a fantastic job, Jackie! The lighting was amazing, love the skyline shots too. Very, very, nice. Congratulations!